Monday, August 27, 2007

Controversial Pick

Not surprisingly, I've gotten several emails from Vol and Gator fans questioning my competence having selected HC Steve Spurrier and USC to win the East. Particularly in light of their recent disciplinary issues that I call UT out for.

There's little doubt in my mind that top to bottom, UF has more talent than USC. My concern with picking them was having to replace 9 starters on a defense that won them a NC last year. Tebow has looked great in his limited PT so far spelling Chris Leak, but how will he handle taking all the snaps this year? The fadeaway jump pass to the back of the end zone only works so many times. Seems like Gator fans would appreciate Spurrier's ability to get the most out of a team.

As for the Vols, I have them lower than probably anyone else does, but that's fine. I'll freely admit if I'm wrong, but I doubt the Orange Nation sends me emails doing the same if UT does sink to 5th. First things first... Who is Ainge going to be throwing to? His top 3 targets from his breakthrough '06 season are gone. So is the majority of the defensive line that wreaked havoc last year. RB LaMarcus Coker could prove to be a constant thorn in Fulmer's side. He's the most gifted back on the squad, but his constant suspensions, run-ins with the law, etc. will prove to be a distraction down the road. Fulmer mishandled his team in 2005 back when a lack of discipline ran wild through the team. UT suffered their first losing season since 1988 that season. While there's no way that happens this year, to think that it won't have an effect is ignoring the obvious.

Anyway, I'll be posting my picks all season long. Anyone else who wants to do the same is more than welcome to. If you think I'm wrong, email me (thedeadguysec@gmail.com). I'm happy to read it.

No comments: